Sunday, 10 May 2015

Overnight in Claerddu Bothy

The original plan was to do a wild camp on the Aran Ridge but with the weather gods deciding that was a no no we changed the plan to a Bothy at least we would be dry indoors and Ryan hasn't stayed in one before so it would be a new experience for him. Moel Prysgau was first decided as we hadn't been there yet but this was soon changed to Claerddu on the journey over to Wales as it was lashing down and although longer the walk along the track to Claerddu appealed more that a wet boggy trudge across the remote moorland of Mid Wales I also had my dog Megan with me and the track would have been better for her so Claeddu it was.

We set off in the delightful conditions from the car park by Claerwen Reservoir which was in full flow the water thundering down the dam walls. The walk to the bothy was pretty uneventful as we just followed the track all the way in dark grey wet conditions I could try and spice this but up but to be honest I can't. Lets just say it was head down for 3 hours and just over 9 miles. All three of us where getting weary towards the end but Mitch who was carrying pretty much half of a supermarket and wood store was feeling it and it was a very welcome sight when we eventually reached the bothy.

Wet Selfie

We got in and wasted no time in getting the fire started I towelled Megan down and she settled down after being fed. Our turn now first a G&T then Dinner was consumed after this we kept up our now tradition of bothy visits by having Port and Cheese selection, we like to do things in style. Much merriment and laughter was had while reading some of the previous visitors comments. Our wet clothes were hanging from the ceiling trying to dry, Megan occasionally raised her head for another sneaky bit of cheese all this while we sat in front of a cosy roaring fire in the wilderness of Mid Wales, Brilliant!

We even had waiter service.

Morning came and the weather had improved very slightly and I do mean slightly. We packed up cleaned the bothy and left faced with the prospect of another 9+ miles back to the car along the track. This for me this was painful as I had my stiff mountain boots on and they are not the best for walking on potholes gravel track my feet were killing me by the time we got back to the car. On the plus side the weather started to improve half way back. We rounded off the trip with an all day breakfast in Rhayader before heading home.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great if soggy weekend! I'd have liked to know more about what it's like to sleep in one of those.