Sunday, 17 August 2014

Cycling in Wales including Bwlch y Groes (Hellfire Pass) climb

Yesterday myself and 5 friends went over to Bala in Wales for some cycling in the beautiful 
Welsh landscape. We did 52 miles and over 5,600ft of ascent, which included the climbs of Hirnant Pass and Bwlch y Groes the hard way from Dinas Mawddwy and it was hard, very hard!! It started with a 20% hairpin, then eased off to 15% for while, before ramping up to 20% for a good while then just as you're thinking 'when is this going to end' it ramps up even steeper, all worth the effort though as the scenery was fantastic. However without doubt it was the hard climb I have done and I have to do it again next week, but next week I will already have 90 miles in the legs by the time I hit it as I will be competing in the Wild Wales Challenge...... that is going to hurt!

Hirnant Pass


Start of Bwlch y Groes - You can just make out the road going up the side of the hill

Top of Bwlch y Groes
Photos Courtesy of R.Davies.

Ride details below:



No comments:

Post a Comment