Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Carding Mill and the Long Mynd family walk

With decent weather forecast over the weekend we went for our first family walk of the year. I decided on a walk up the Long Mynd in Shropshire so somewhere completely new for me and a place I’ve had my eye on for a while. Plan was to walk up Carding Mill valley then up onto Pole Bank trig point and back via a path the other side of the Burway road. Funny how best laid plans go right out the window in the first few minutes. After the Carding Mill NT tea shop there was a nice inviting looking ridge which looked like it went up onto Haddon Hill and sure enough my daughter said can we go up there I didn’t need a second invite so off we went and it was a great way to start the day a lovely airy safe ridge affording fantastic views up the valley.

Carding Mill

We stopped two thirds of the way up for a rest and watched the ponies grazing on the other side of valley. Suitably refreshed we continued on until we reached the fence line and then something which completely took me by surprise a golf green just the other side of the fence line it got me thinking I wonder what is the highest golf course in the UK and when I got home a quick Google search suggested that West Monmouthshire golf course is the highest as the 14th tee is at over 1500 ft. above sea level so I then looked up how this one compared and apparently it is actually the 3rd highest course in GB at 1230 ft. Anyway I digress and I’m not even interested in golf either.

heading up the ridge
 


Chilling out watching the ponies
3rd highest Golf in GB
 
 
We then headed up towards Haddon Hill but before hitting the top we again sat down for another rest overlooking the golfers with distant views towards The Wrekin. On the summit we picked up a very well defined track and followed this until we hit the junction with the Shropshire way and the path coming up from Carding Mill. I asked my 11 year old daughter to tell us where we were on the map and I was pleasantly surprised to see she got it spot on by following the route we came up, top marks to her. We then stopped for lunch, Megan my dog was being cheeky and stole one of my sausage sandwiches too much of a temptation I suppose.


Megan looking pleased with herself after nabbing my sausage sandwich
After lunch we then and headed up to Pole Bank view point the highest point on the Long Mynd at 516m (1693 ft.) although it was a lovely day the air quality was a bit hazy so sadly no far reaching views across Wales. We then made our way back to the junction of the paths but this time heading down the Jack Mytton Way back into Carding Mill valley. This really is a beautiful valley and although the route of the walk was not what I had originally planned I actually think doing it this way round worked out for the better. All that remained now was a cup of tea and slice of cake from the tea shop. All in all this was a really enjoyable day out in a nice family friendly area.
 
Nearly at Pole Bank summit
 


 
Back down for tea & cake

No comments:

Post a Comment