Monday, 25 February 2013

A weekend on 2 wheels


After last week’s superb camp out on Arenig Fawr it was back to 2 wheels over the weekend. Saturday I did a BMCC club ride which was a perfect warm up for yesterday’s Reliability ride which is a training event organised by CC Luton. It was a hilly course just under 60 miles around the Chilterns which included the climbs up Ivinghoe Beacon & Tom’s Hill in Aldbury.
This was a tough ride; I was going well until the last 15 miles when my calf’s started to cramp up. It really was a bitterly cold morning with some patches of ice on the roads especially on the higher ground and sheltered back roads so care needed to be taken. To give an example of how cold it was the water on the spout of my bottle kept freezing up, I had to bite through this to open the spout. Unfortunately I also messed up along the route and blindly followed a couple of other riders, sadly this meant I cut the route short by 4 miles, I was annoyed with myself for just following them like a sheep, anyway I told the organisers at the finish who adjusted my time accordingly and as they said I did all the major climbs and it is just a training ride so it didn’t matter really, still annoying though.
Next weekend is the Harp Hilly Hundred; this will have plenty of ascents including the climbs up Bison Hill onto the Dunstable Downs, Aston Hill and Ivinghoe Beacon amongst others. That will be a tough one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment