Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Northern Carneddau

Last weekend I did a circuit of the Northen Carneddau with a couple of friends Mitch & Ryan. It was great to get out in the mountains again as recently I've spent most of my spare time sat on my bike.

We started by the Aber falls car park headed up onto Drum via Foel Ganol, then the three 3,000ft peaks of Foel Fras, Carnedd Gwenllian and Foel Grach, where we pitched for the night about 100 yards from the mounatin shelter. During the night the tent was being battered by wind and rain and when I awoke in the morning I poked my head out to be confronted by snow all around, which was a nice surprise. It was also the first real outing for my Laser Comp 1 tent which I was very impressed with.
We were lucky that the cloud disperssed to enable us to watch the sunrise before we descended via Carnedd Gwenllian, Bera Bach & Drosgl then picking up and following the Afon Gam down past Aber falls and back to the car.

This really was a cracking 2 days out in a very quiet part of Snowdonia with some stunning views. Really enjoyed it.


Foel Ganol
 
Ponies on Foel Ganol
 
Looking back to Foel Ganol
 

 
Llandudno & Ormes Head
 
 
Foel Fras from Drum
 
Between Foel Fras & Carnedd Gwenllian

Mountain Shelter on Foel Grach

Pitch on Foel Grach

Sunrise



 
Carnedd Llewelyn & Yr Elen

Yr Elen

Taking in the view from Yr Aryg
 
Bera Mawr from Yr Aryg

Wild Ponies keeping an eye on us


First view of Aber Falls


Aber Falls








4 comments:

  1. Some rather nice photos there Phil. A suprise to wake up to a dusting of snow, hope we get loads this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, they were taken on my old Lumix TZ-5 as I didn't take the G3 due to the forecast of wet weather. It was a nice surprise to have to snow in the morning, made for some good early morning shots.

      Delete
  2. Nice route and photo's. Looks like you had a superb couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Alan, yeah it was a really good weekend. Always good to explore a new area.

      Delete