Monday, 6 August 2012

Oggie 8 This weekend!!!

The Oggie 8 Challenge is this weekend, I’m starting to get nervous about it now, Last night I sat and looked at the map thinking all sorts of things like “Christ that really is a lot of ascent” & “it is going to hurt there, there & there”!! “We need to be here by this time”. No lengthy stops or breaks, munching on the go will be required……. Then I started thinking “What the hell have I let myself in for”, LOL!!

Everything is in place with my team, all members are booked in. logistics are all sorted. Now it is just a case of heading up Friday afternoon / evening and going for it on Saturday at 7:00am. I’m expecting the Carneddau section will be chalked off fairly comfortably but then I’m also expecting the Glyder section to be a long slow energy sapping slog with burning legs. Especially the descent up Y Garn and then up on Glyder Fawr from Llyn y cwn and if we get this far the final ascent onto Tryfan from Bwlch Tryfan. Hence the “it will hurt there, there and there”.
There is a mass start time at 7:00am from the Ogwen valley mountain rescue hut, with a few cut off points along the route. 13:00 at Ogwen cottage. 15:00 at Llyn y Cwn. I also believe there is cut off point at Bwlch Tryfan but this has not been confirmed as yet. We certainly will not be setting any record times and the only target we are aiming for is to get round and complete it.
One thing is for sure I’m really looking forward to the beers afterwards; they hopefully will be well earned.
I will be posting photos and report early next week after the event. Lastly if anyone reading this is actually doing the event this Saturday. All the best and see you there.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck and enjoy the beers at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If we manage to make it all the way round the beers will certainly be enjoyed.

      Delete
  2. Just doing some search ahead of the weekend. Wasn't worried until I read about your nerves... Sure we'll be alright!?

    Will see you there,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Chris, I just know that the Glyder section is going to be tough but i'm still looking forward to the challenge. I just hope I can complete it and that is the only goal i'm setting myself.

      Delete
  3. What a challenge! Hats off to those who completed it from someone whose old legs gave out too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a great day, we really enjoyed it and will be back next year.

      Delete