Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Oggie 8 Trial Run on Saturday

This weekend, I’m heading for the Ogwen valley. As you may or may not know I have a team entered in this years Oggie 8 challenge on 11th August. Therefore 4 of us from my team will be doing a trial run of the route on Saturday. At present the forecast is not looking favourable. See here for the current Met Office forecast.

Plan is to travel up from Oxfordshire on Friday afternoon / evening and stay at Gwern Gof Uchaf campsite at the foot of Tryfan. We will then set off early as per the official Oggie 8 start time, I’m hoping to try and complete the full route but depending on the conditions I think realistically we will just see how we go. Nearest Pub will be beckoning on Saturday evening then hopefully a short walk on Sunday morning to loosen the legs before heading back home to cheer England onto victory in the Euros, well hopefully anyway.

My kit for the Oggie 8 will consist of the following and most items on the list are compulsory for the challenge. A kit inspection will take place on the day of the actual event.

Waterproof Jacket & Trousers
3ltr Water bladder (or Travel Tap undecided which to take yet)
First aid kit
Group shelter (only one person in the team needs this)
Spare windproof
Food
Map
Compass
Whistle
Torch

Extras I’m taking not on Compulsory kit list

Cap
Running Gloves
Spare baselayer
Spare socks (I find new socks really freshen the feet up halfway round, work when I did the Y3P)
2 x Drybags

All this will fit in my Salomon XA 20ltr lightweightrucksack.

No comments:

Post a Comment