Sunday, 3 April 2011

Snowdon Horseshoe

May 2009
The Snowdon Horseshoe - A fantastic walk one of the best in Snowdonia and one I fully recommend, however you must have a head for heights to go across Crib Goch, a head for heights is something that I don't have unless I'm on solid ground. Now Crib Goch is solid ground but not a lot of solid ground!! I did mange to get across but it was at the limit of my comfort zone so much so that I actually crawled for a section of it, anyway I made it and looking back now I thoroughly enjoyed it although at the time if I was asked whether I was enjoying it I might have said something else probably ending in "off". The rest of the route is straight forward technically from Crib y Ddysgl up onto Snowdon, then down the Watkin Path and straight up onto the twin peaks of Y Lliwedd from here it is an easy walk down to the Llyn Llydaw and back along the Miners Track to Pen-y-pass. I was lucky enough to do this on a glorious day in May not a cloud in the sky and and hardly a breeze which was good for me when crossing Crib Goch.

The whole horseshoe panorama
Start of Crib Goch from near Pen-y-pass
Mitch taking time out before we started the steep climb up Crib Goch
First view of Snowdon
Looking down back to Pen-y-pass
Crib Goch
Making our way across Crib Goch
On the Pinnacles
Looking back at the Pinnacles
The Glyders from Bwlch Coch
Scrambling up Garnedd Ugain
And Relax!! All the technical bits done, looking back to Crib Goch
View across to Y Lliwedd
Crib y Ddysgl Trig point
Snowdon and Y Lliwedd
Y Lliwedd from Snowdon
Love it or Hate it - The Snowdon Summit Cafe
Llyn Llydaw from Bwlch Ciliau
On Y Lliwedd West peak looking at the East peak.
Shear drop down there!!!
Y Lliwedd and Snowdon
A sunny Snowdon - Yes it does happen.
Route Map



No comments:

Post a Comment