Friday, 14 October 2011

I did it!!!!!

Sunday 9th October a date which I have been looking forward to and dreading for some time..... The day of the Kielder Marathon. Lining up at the start line on wet and miserable day I was thinking right this is it 26.2 miles hopefully all the training runs have paid off and I can get round, that was my main and only target I had set for myself to get round, however in the back of my mind I was hoping to do it in less than 5 hours. The route stated and finished at Leaplish water park and followed the lakeside way which hugs the shore line for much of the route. At half way I was feeling good clocking 2hrs 14 mins, but just before crossing the dam I got cramp in both calf's, meaning that the final 9 miles was a mixture walking and jogging, I eventually got round and completed it in a time of 5hrs 19mins. I was really pleased that I completed it, but my competitive nature means I'm slightly disappointed in the time. As a result my initial thoughts where one time only but I'm now coming round to the idea of doing it again next year to achieve a time of less than 5 hours.

Kielder really is a stunning location for a marathon and with the course being so undulating believe me it is not an easy one. Will I be back next year.......................... Watch this space.


Me (in blue) crossing the finish line with cramp.


2 comments:

  1. good on ya mate 26.2 miles wow I wouldn't be able to run the .2 mile bit of it lol (wonders in fact if I could walk that distance and how long it would take) maybe 5 days 19 hours for me eh lol Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Paul, those last 9 miles where hard but at least I didn't cheat and get the bus to claim 3rd.

    ReplyDelete