Thursday, 30 June 2011

Chilterns Hills - 25/6/11

Yes I know, this is not exactly Mountainous but as I had to cancel my planned trip and wild camp in the Peaks at the last minute, I decided I would get out somewhere. I set off for the Chiltern Hills which is local to me. I work in Thame and I regularly go running around this area in the evening after work and thought it was about time I actually took in the scenery at a more leisurely pace, The Chiltern Hills is a beautiful, unspoilt area. The gently rolling hills are swathed in woodland, providing an abundance of wildlife. The spectacular red kite, a reintroduced bird of prey, is very visible for most of the year and I wanted to try and capture them on the camera.






I split my morning into 2 sections, 1st a walk around Lodge Hill which is on the Ridgeway national trail between Princess Risborough and Chinnor. I set off from a lovely pub The Lions in Bledlow, following the bridleway from the car park up hill to reach the Ridgeway path I then made my way across to Lodge Hill, which is a grassy ridge with views on boths sides. At the far side of the hill I turned off the Ridgeway and followed the path round with some spendid views down the valley and distant poppy fields. I then went down a wooded path north west to meet the Ridgeway and back to the pub car park.


The second part I headed off to Watlington Hill. This area is rife with Red Kites and I went out onto the hill with camera in hand to managed to capture some on video. Rising to 213 metres this hill consists chalk downland, scrub and beech copses and has impressive views over the surrounding countryside.



I had a great morning just appreciating what is virtually on my doorstep.






No comments:

Post a Comment