Monday, 2 May 2011

Y Gribin Ridge - 24/4/11

After a fantastic day in Llandudno with the family, we got back to the holiday cottage in Dolwyddelan at about 4:00pm, there was not a cloud in the sky and as I sat in the garden my wife turned to me and said "Why don't you go and do a walk before dinner" without hesitation I accepted the offer.



I had for a while been thinking about going up Y Gribin on the Glyders as I have never previosly done this route. I thought I would try it lightweight for a fast ascent and descent to be back in time for dinner, so I did it in my Inov8 Roclite 312 running shoes, they performed fantastically, very light and gripped the rock superbly especially whilst doing the final scrambly section and the fast descent never felt like I was going to slip. My dog Megan as usual accompanied me and we set off from the car park on the A5 near Ogwen cottage, we went past Llyn Bochlwyd and easily found the start of the Y Gribin route we followed the steep clear path until it came out onto a glentle open area which lead to a short scrambling section to finish off at the top of the ridge. The views to the left where dominated by Tryfan and below Llyn Bochlwyd and to the right The Nameless Cwm and Beyond to the Devils Kitchen & Llyn Idwal, The short scrambling section posed no real difficulities other than I had to pick a suitable path up the rock for my dog Megan. We eventually came out at the top of the ridge and the views all round where fantastic, on inspection of my watch we made it in 1 hr and 16 mins, took some quick pictures and a panoramic video, then made our way back down, again carefully picking our route down the rocks that where most suitable for the dog, then once we passed these ran the rest of the way following the same path we went up on. We soon got back to the car completing the whole route in under 2 hours and ensuring I was back in time for dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment