Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Cnicht - 29/4/11

The day of the Royal Wedding and I planned to make the most of it by doing Cnicht and round past Llyn yr Adar and back through the disused quarry at the foot of Foel Ddu.






I set off early from Dolwyddelan and reached the car park in Croesor just after at 8:00am, the way to Cnicht was easily marked up past the old chapel. This steadily climbed through a wooded area then out onto open land, I could see the iconic shape of Cnicht in the distance, from this angle it looks like the perfect mountain shape you can see why it is know as the Welsh Matterhorn.


Continuing on crossing a couple of ladder stiles the terrain soon started to get steeper and the wind was picking up, at an open area just before the final steep push for the top the crosswind was really strong. I carefully went up this final section and soon reached the summit, with the ridge stretching out to the north east. The winds up on top where getting very strong now, so I quickly took my usually summit photos and panorama video and made my way quickly along the ridge.

Looking back to Croesor and my route up

Me and Megan with the summit ridge behind

The terrain was now a gentle slope down to the Llyn yr Adar, and thankfully away from the strong winds. This area really does characterise the remoteness of the Moelwyns and I have in mind to return and do a wild camp in this area.

The Moelwyns remoteness

I took the sometimes faint and boggy south east path back towards the disused quarries, and had some fantastic views back down the valley towards Croesor, with Cnicht and Moelwyn Mawr on either side. The quarries where very interesting to walk around and I spent a bit of time here just exploring around the area, it is quite a large site and must have been a very busy place when in use, some of the buildings where still fairly intact, there was even an old abandoned small transport rail cart which still had slate in.

Looking down the valley at Croesor

Quarry buildings

Quarry buildings with Cnicht in the background

From the quarries it was a very straight forward an gentle walk back along a track which ran from the quarry entrance back to Croesor. An excellant walk, and one which I will be repeating but next time I plan to do a wild camp and explore the more remote areas and take in Moelwyn Mawr.


No comments:

Post a Comment